View Single Post
Old 14 Jul 2017, 13:33 (Ref:3751164)   #7
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've seen a couple of Autosport articles referring to the event but I think the lack of news is down to the daytime largely having been aimed at schoolkids. In Trafalgar Square itself there was a massive stage being used for all the linky pieces, interviews and bands to play, but all the way round the edge there were tents with F1 in Schools, simulators, a pit stop challenge, slot cars and a host of STEM-related educational stuff. It was very much aimed at selling STEM as a career through, rather than necessarily into, F1.

The demo runs of the cars were almost ancillary to that and the night time concert!

I think all the secrecy around it - with it not being announced formally until 48 hours before - was partly down to the security stance that London has at the moment, but also to ensure that the entirety of the city didn't go into meltdown like it did for the Regent Street event in 2004. It was also a bit of a test, I would imagine, to see whether it was worth making the effort in other cities.

In my opinion - yes, it is. And if they do it next year it'll be even bigger.