View Single Post
Old 30 Aug 2017, 15:47 (Ref:3762966)   #18
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Why dont road cars and racing cars use detachable batteries that can be removed and then just a new one just slotted into its place within a few seconds? I can appreciate they would be very heavy, we have to remove battery units from our server room UPS and its takes two of us to lift them, however the principle is the same, and also it shares more in common with having to re-fuel in a "current" car. Why can't you pull into a "Charge Station", have your battery slotted out, then have another put into your car and then off you go, 2 min and you are done, just like a normal fuel stop today?
You can already do that with electric forklifts now.

Drive to the lift station, do the equivalent of spreading the fork's legs, disconnect everything, haul away the old pack & slide in a new one.

It can take between 30 minutes and an hour, with a couple of blokes or blokettes around to do the spanner twirling, the power disconnect/reconnect, and the required health & safety mob with fire equipment and other stuff in case of emergency.

And some time to start up the fresh battery and have it talk to the electronics (control unit, GPS etc) on the forklift.

It would be nice if it were as quick as slotting a fresh set of AAA batteries into the teev remote. We aren't there just yet.

And it would arguably make for quite an uninteresting pitstop if they did...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House