View Single Post
Old 11 Jul 2013, 10:23 (Ref:3276526)   #21
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
I can only agree that DRS is artificial and unneeded.
As for the rest, it's all just there to make the racing better, just like every other racing series does on this planet.

But safety cars? The FIA could use the same system they use in Dubai, where during caution periods a speed limiter is activated on all cars. Or something else. The safety car is a natural thing, but it affects the racing much much more than anything "artificial". In Germany, the safety car gave big opportunities to Kimi and Webber that they otherwise would not have had. The "artificial" elements are the same for everyone, so they become "natural" in a way. A safety car stands out unnaturally because of how drastically it can alter a race.
As I said, I agree that the measures discussed are there to make racing better, agree with them or not. It's a question of how artificial they are and in my view they are but I take your point.

Agree completely that the sc can impact the race significantly - I don't agree with you that the "Dubai solution" would necessarily be the answer for F1 but that's another discussion - with a lot of detail in it. The point of this thread is not about what impacts the race more but what is most artificial and in my view, the safety car is not the most artificial thing in F1 and is less artificial than the items you and I have been discussing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
I'm reasonably happy that 2014 will see things like KERS (ERS-K, as it will be known then) are given more freedom with regard to power output and length of time in which they can be deployed during a single lap. I don't think that energy recovery systems are artificial in any way.
I agree, it's the restriction on the amount of time it can be used as a power source per lap that I consider to be artificial.