View Single Post
Old 17 Jul 2017, 14:22 (Ref:3752155)   #10
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I in general am not in favor of a lot of the paved run off areas for Grade 1 tracks as they do encourage track limits abuse, and the FIA often have to make IMO half-hearted measures to discourage it and have each incident judged by imperfect humans who have to judge things on a case by case basis.

I know that grass when it's wet offers no traction and virtually no braking resistance. But paved run off encourages track limits abuse unless something is done to discourage it. I'm almost in favor of temporary "moats" filled with gravel, grass or other low traction materials that can be cleaned out and covered with concrete patches or astroterf for say a bike race or other event.

I think that track limits violations should be self-policing and self-administering of punishments (lost time/track position), but the solutions shouldn't require human intervention/judgement calls or do damage to cars/cause accidents. Granted, best way to avoid this is if drivers stay on track. But what if there's a spin or accident?

Maybe the FIA should just accept that most Grade 2 tracks are plenty safe even for F1 cars. After all, it's only F1 that requires Grade 1 and a lot of that is also under the pressure of FOM for infrastructure and hospitality.