View Single Post
Old 24 Sep 2015, 07:58 (Ref:3576577)   #15
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Have to wonder how the damage done by VW compares to Mobil's efforts with the Exxon Valdez and its result:
It is an interesting parallel to draw, but I think it is completely different.

The above cases were "accidents". Sure there was negligence and all of that, but the companies can argue that the end result was not intended.

VW fully intended to cheat the system. It is not a blurred line at all, it is a well defined test that they intentionally built a cheat device to get around.

Further, the penalties are apparently very clearly spelt out in the legislation (from what I have read). Again, no blurred lines, if you break the rules you are liable for a fine up to (I can't remember the exact figure but around) US$38,600 / vehicle.

In some ways it pales in comparison to the value lost by VW in recent days. Stock down 35%, some 28 billion Euro. It appears to be recovering since the resignation of Winterkorn, but still a very serious situation. The stocks have declined more than the total value of both Renault and Peugeot

It has been suggested before, but a HUGE marketing programme is going to be required to push VW (Audi and Skoda) back into positive ground. I don't think entering F1 would be as stupid an idea as it sounds (on the face of it).