View Single Post
Old 4 Feb 2009, 20:16 (Ref:2388423)   #8
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
a great can of worms here girls!
i think the special saloons really started in the 66 season because there where Group 5 saloon races for cars that where homologated ( technically we would say these Gp5 cars where more akin to Gp2 spec cars) and had go faster engines or tuning kits on them
the cars then filtered down into club racers hands with other mods like wider wheels flared arches lighter panels and then people like Terry Sanger fitted big engines in Cortina circa 67/8 that really kicked off the hybrid saloon cars that we can call SPECIAL saloons
there where 2 or 3 sets of regs over the many years that covered special saloon then we had the Super saloon regs circa 73-75
Donington GT racing was an amalgamation of special saloons and the withering Modsports race cars with its own "open" set of rules

Modsports had very specific rules on tuning and mods allowed in relation to a cars homologation
later there was Thundersaloons and Modified saloon car championships

there are 3 threads currently running
the only way to deal with this thread is to proceed 1 year at a time or it willjump around like mad as it has done already on these other threads where you can glean a lot of info already All I will say good luck to you on this one (I was there in period and the cars changed hands rapidly) im off and I will leave you to it