View Single Post
Old 18 May 2012, 21:43 (Ref:3076252)   #16
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistron View Post
in 1100cc I could see Climax, BMC, Ford, Fiat Triumph? engines, in 1500, you'd have BMC, Ford, Porsche etc any others - Alfa, fiat?

perhaps a pre and post '60 class in each size?

I've always thought what the Goodwood revival needs is a race for Lotus seven type cars - S1 & 2, Mallocks, Chevron B1 &2, maybe even taking in some F1200s etc , but then I'm biased!
My initial thought was that 1100 Climaxes and 1500 MG XPAG engines produce a similar amount of power, and they were the most common engines in the 50s, at least amongst club/privateer racers.

Of course other engines were around and used at the time, the idea would be to try to even out their performance (e.g. avoid one offering a significant advantage).

Sidevalve Fords were also popular but won't produce as much power, even with the best efforts of Aquaplane or Elva.

Anglia and A-series (even Alfa) are problematic since they have received almost continual development since they were introduced, so the question is what capacity would keep them on par with the Climax & MG, is it 1100 or even 1000cc?

1220 Climaxes could be acceptable if they were restricted in some way, possibly limiting them to twin SUs rather than twin DCOEs?

Fiat 1100s did appear in various forms and as long as they aren't as cleverly re-engineered as certain Junior engines wouldn't offer an unfair advantage.

Ideas/thoughts/experiences along those lines would be appreciated - maybe a rev-limit would reduce the advantage of some better developed engines?
A minimum weight would probably be a necessity as well...

As for the cars, the problem with accepting Lotus Sevens is also their continual development.
Lotus Sixes are pretty safe bets and at least Series 1 Sevens but if you start taking the later cars you might end up with another Caterham series, and there are hopefully a load of less common (how do I say more interesting without offending Seven owners?) cars out there.

Monoposto (I think it was them?) have been holding races for their early cars like the Mallocks etc, but if their performance and powerplants are appropriate I see no issue with them and the early Ginettas etc.

It really depends on how many cars there are, filling a grid with cars of a similar age (and possibly engine location) has to be preferable, the problem with having a large age range is that the newer cars are usually quicker which doesn't help bring the earlier cars out.

There is a split somewhere between the early 50s & early 60s that leaves you with two well matched sets of cars - I'm suspecting it occurs somewhere around the Cooper Bobtail. But that is getting ahead of ourselves, one race is enough of a challenge let alone two seperate series...

Peter