View Single Post
Old 7 Feb 2011, 22:31 (Ref:2827477)   #12
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Purist, thank you very much for your in-depth analysis. It is a very good read. And most importantly, your effort provides us on this forum with some vocabulary for things we want to say but up to now did not really know to say how. Given the fact that we are living in all directions from which the wind can blow, that is important.

Regarding the issue of pinch corners, I feel it is important to have tracks on a series calendar that do have a differring amount of pinch corners when analysed in comparison to each other.

The ratio of number of corners per track length and the ratio of straights or full throttle sections per track length are important figures to have in mind when designing a track, as well as the ratio of number of overtaking opportunities per lap time. It is here that shorter (but undoubtedly classic) tracks such as Brands Hatch and Dijon Prenois have their strengths.

I'm very much looking forward to your next entry in this series of theoretical background writing. Thanks again.

By the way, how would you define a Mickey Mouse Course? For me, it is a track with a high ratio of lap time per track length and a high number of pinch corners in comically short succession.