View Single Post
Old 21 Dec 2011, 18:00 (Ref:3002823)   #1238
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
the strong ALMS brand (certainly amongst motorsport fans) shouldn't be ditched without thought, I'm familiar with IMSA Camel GT(P), but I must admit I don't even know what the series prior to the ALMS was called.
This is a myopic statement, due to being a sportscar anorak. I am one too. The general public doesn't have a clue what the ALMS is, let alone whether it is a good brand or not. I believe IMSA still carries just as much recognition amongst most North American fans. ALMS also have a very negative image amongst a good portion of corporate america.

Quote:
The ALMS has freedom to allow any LMP built in the last however many years, the biggest issue has not been the ACO blocking a specific car, it's been supply issues or lack of support for cars like the RS Spyder and Lola Aston.
It comes down to a lack of interest in entrants, high costs, and poor ROI.

Quote:
When it comes to modifying cars you have to ask why would you deviate from a manufactuers spec, would it be quicker and/or cheaper, and who would pay? Given the ALMS looks like it will be allowed to homologate some GT3's, what other cars would the ALMS bring in if it divorced from the ACO, DP's and tube-frame GT's?
I'm not certain there would be too many more chassis builders involved. Sure, modifications such as what Robinson did with the R&S could be allowed, this has been the history of the sport in North America... see Porsche 962's, 935's....

I think from a fan interest point of view though, you want to allow the Big V8's to run in the Big class. The Aston V12... This is racing, the sight, the sounds, the feeling... they've banned the popular engines. The Panoz LMP1 is probably still the most popular LMP car in North America, due to the engine sounds, and of course being "American". That big V8 rumble is a part of the culture here... and without it, well it just doesn't seem right.

--------------------------------

Anyway, the rules, which cars etc, are all pretty irrelevant for now. Until the management of the series is changed, or somehow gets a new religion, this is all for naught.