View Single Post
Old 22 Dec 2011, 01:44 (Ref:3002989)   #1241
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Before arguing for change you need to ask if this will address the series problems, or if they are unrelated to the ACO link, the strong ALMS brand (certainly amongst motorsport fans) shouldn't be ditched without thought, I'm familiar with IMSA Camel GT(P), but I must admit I don't even know what the series prior to the ALMS was called.
A strong brand yesterday does not always make for a strong brand today. Just ask Oldsmobile, Plymouth, CART, Montgomery Ward, Commodore, McDonnell Douglas, and countless others. The ALMS was the beautiful fashion model for a brief moment, but it is now the old hag wife of an abusive spouse that has turned to the drugs and alcohol of the racing world (BoP and spec racing) just to live to the next day. It's not a pretty sight. Fans are bailing if they have not bailed already.

How to fix it? Well, there are some obvious ideas that might work but the question of how to get there isn't so easy. First, the ALMS has to step outside of the shadow of the ACO. Americans don't put up with those who have a loser's mentality and that is exactly what the ALMS has. That is abundantly clear. Second, they have to find some way to get equipment on the grid that is exciting to the fanbase. They need prototypes that look, sound, and run fast. They need GT cars that aren't confusing and political in nature. The cars need to be relevant to the fan base. If there needs to be a class of pony and other sporty cars, then make one. So on and so forth. And the rules must be fair and consistent over time. The different class structures should have predictable pricing. Also, they need races that are second to none.

Will we ever get those things? I don't know. It does not look like it is going to happen any time soon. Heck, I'd be happy if someone made a series like that in Europe or Asia, but I really hope to see one in NA. We'll see what happens, but the status quo definitely isn't sustainable. I think it goes without saying that the American public is not eagerly awaiting to see what Chris Dyson and Jay Cochran have to offer in 2012 with their BoPwagon Lola.