View Single Post
Old 23 Nov 2017, 19:48 (Ref:3782474)   #3435
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
Continuing the Skoda theme...

Back in the 90s, due to business problems I was forced to swap my Integrale for something more - ahem - affordable. I bought a Skoda Estelle 120S (well, if you're going to economise you may as well do it properly).

Apart from the front disc brakes, which had less friction material than most modern mountain bikes, it was great. Not a spot of rust on the body, nice slick gearchange, reasonable handling (as long as you didn't need to change direction suddenly once committed to a corner) and a dead simple engine.

A complete replacement exhaust was £30, servicing was all the things we old farts would understand (points, plugs, air and oil filters) and I could park it anywhere.

I guess the Skoda has set the scene for my subsequent motoring. I'm now driving a 16-year old Golf Diesel with 180K on the clock and am struggling to find a reason to replace it...
Long long time ago a neighbour and former colleague of mine ended up in an awkward life situation for a while and needed some form of transport.

Bought a Skoda 120 Coupe for about £50 iirc.

Rough but usable after a little fettling of the carb but the gear shift lever had broken so was either rather short or very loose - can't recall which.

Still, it worked for him for a few months until he got his life back together.