Thread: Driver 2018 F1 silly season.
View Single Post
Old 17 Jul 2017, 22:50 (Ref:3752279)   #268
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I don't know a great deal about FIA driver licensing, but from a tiny bit of reading... I assume he has a grade A license given he was part of the ByKolles LMP1 program (he left the team before actually racing). Otherwise, I don't see him fitting any of the established "experience" requirements for a Super License. He doesn't meet the current driver provisions (must have raced in F1 within past three years) and he does not meeting the current "regular test driver" provisions (wasn't a test driver for anyone last year). To fit into the exception clause it looks like he would be required to fulfill the 300KM testing provision. I haven't been following him closely, so I don't know if his recent testing counts toward that or not.

Richard
Thanks Richard.

From here:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIA_Super_Licence

it would appear there is a loophole available

" Under exceptional circumstances Appendix L also allows the FIA to award a Super Licence to a driver who does not meet the normal criteria if a vote reveals unanimous agreement by the members, and provided that the driver has completed 300 kilometres of testing at racing speeds in a current car."

Nice to see that Seb Loeb would have stood a chance of qualifying under the new system.

Formula E series points toward the super license seem to be very generous!