View Single Post
Old 5 Apr 2017, 14:55 (Ref:3723942)   #1
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Driving Mount Panorama

Being a Pom, I know nothing about Mount Panorama, except what I see now and again in videos. But, it looks an exciting circuit and I may be visiting Australia next year. I've a UK National 'A' licence and my other hobby is to 'collect' race circuits. I've raced at all the UK GP tracks, plus the 'Ring, Le Mans (parade laps only!), Monza, Zandvoort and Spa this year. If I can get to Oz, I'd like to add Mount Panorama! If only on a track day.

To race there would be wonderful, but the MSA makes it difficult for 'foreigners' to race in the UK, let alone Poms in Oz, so I thought of a track day and a hire car, but then I found that the Bathurst circuit is public roads! Does this mean that they are only closed for events, like Le Mans? So that at other times it can't be driven at anything like competitive speed?
This may explain the track days at Bathurst that I've seen, advertised for thousands of Australian dollars, when a UK track day will be less than UKĀ£200, if that.
I've seen the list of Australian permanent circuits on Wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._racing_tracks). If Bathurst isn't a goer, and you were only in Oz for a short time, which would you try to get a few laps at?
Advice, please?
John