View Single Post
Old 26 Apr 2017, 17:39 (Ref:3729353)   #42
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Mmm, just notice in the final instructions- no racing engines to be run on Thursday, and not until 0900 other days. Bit awkward when first race of the day starts just after!

I wonder what hours E Midlands Airport operates for take offs and landings......
The no racing engines before 0900 is standard at Donington, Mike.

As for East Midlands Airport ops, I will give you the party line! EMA only actually operates for approx 19% of its available operating time so, although the aircraft engines are noisier than the race car engines there are significant quiet periods between take offs or landings.

In contrast, once practice/qualifying/ racing starts at Donington then there tends to be a near constant engine noise from 0900 until close of play with very few breaks. None petrol heads find this engine noise/ drone irritating apparently!

In addition, EMA employs something like 5000 plus people so, whilst the locals don't like the aircraft noise either, they cut it slack.

I'm not saying I agree with any of that, but that is the crux of the reason why DP tries to limit things. It may even be in line with their planning conditions, and certainly forms part of their noise management plan which the local Council do monitor.

I do know that people shouldn't move near race tracks and airports and then moan about noise, but whether we like it not, we enjoy a minority interest sport and we have to be seen to be good neighbours where possible and not give the moaners any ammunition.

As long as DP operates within its planning conditions and noise management plan it will continue to operate. As soon as it deviates from those rules it can be shut down. Look what happened to Mallory when the old operators there took it upon themselves to operate outside the rules.