View Single Post
Old 13 May 2017, 10:44 (Ref:3733170)   #1565
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sadly while attending concerts by the 'stars' one usually had to watch a motley collection of home grown 'talent', all dreadful; Vince Eager, The Animals, The Dangling Blue Jeans, Georgie Fame and so many I care not to recall. When Chan Romero had a hit in America with his 'Hippy, Hippy, Shake' the Swinging Blue Jeans made a British cover version, however, at one Rock 'n' Roll Show in North London featuring Gene Vincent and Eddie Cochran (from memory) they tried to perform their version live, but were completely drowned out the booing, heckling audience who appreciated the original. People were walking up to the stage and throwing rubbish at the group, as they endeavoured to complete their 'set'. The next night at another venue they simply came on and dashed headlong through their, limited, repertoire without attempting to introduce the different numbers. Most hilarious.

My company Alfa GTV was great on acceleration, but dodgy over 90mph and cornered like a rice pudding in the wet, but it impressed my kids school mates. One favourite memory was of my eldest daughter's friend, her father had just got his brand new company Cortina, and proudly showed it off to the family, whereupon came; "Leanne Bull's dad has an Alfa Romeo!"

Many years later number two Jennie, and her boyfriend with his Audi were leaving our house to go to his place, while me and Judy were to follow in my old Cavalier. Off they went as I prepared to leave, apparently on the way Jen said "Dad will get there first." "Why?" asked Gareth. "Because he always does." said Jennie. She told me this when they arrived behind us somewhat later. And I did not even try.

Well, Mike, you did ask.