Thread: sponsorship????
View Single Post
Old 21 Sep 1999, 08:09 (Ref:10339)   #8
CATMAN
Racer

CATMAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I get approached all the time re the sponsorship thing. What most people want to see is professional presentation.
Scruffy overalls , boots , glove or Helmet are out. Your racing projectile should be clean as a whistle, polished and logos or paintwork immaculate. You tools and spares should be the same, and neatly set out.
If you`re using a truck or trailer, it must be clean and well presented outside and inside.
Spray your fuel cans the same colour as your
stands, jacks, and tool boxs. Have a place for every thing, and label everything and its storage place. Make sure you trucks sun shade, awning or your uncles old tent that you work under is also clean and presentable.
Make sure that if you are seated at your setup between races, the table and chairs are clean and the cool box is neat with your team logo on it and and you eat and drink from un marked clean cups etc.
I`ve heard hundreds of people moan at the lack of sponsorship money. But thay turn up with a van with doors wired up plastic over a missing window, the tools fall out when the doors open. tools covered in ****. Overalls and driver kit that looks as if the`ve been used under the van that has probably broken down 3 times on the way to the track.
When you are racing with little money it may seem crazy to spend it on the kit rather than your car, kart or bike. But offering a potential sponsor a coffee in a cracked stained mug ,and wiping your greasy hands on your race overalls as you hand him the last cookie as your mechanic in a pair of jeans half way down his ass, and a greasy T Shirt with a F!ck U logo scrambles over piles of **** in the van shouting I can`t find the p1ssing plug wrench again. Is mnot the way to go. You may think this an insult to your intelligence but there are plenty out there still working this way to some exstent.
If you want to represent some one else and spend their money, make sure what you have looks its best and is well presented and clean. Image is what they are looking to sell and yours must be good to get their money.