View Single Post
Old 1 Oct 2021, 07:10 (Ref:4076481)   #5721
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Not quite as every team’s cars were quite different. Not like spec cars at all.
I didn't say they were all spec cars, simply that the series was dependent on one manufacturer, and it wasn't long before all ran engines from one OEM, which is even more conformity than what you have now.

Harking back to what something was 20+ years earlier, while wonderfully romantic an idea is too far divorced from the reality of the last decade and this present decade.
the only variety in racing is now carried out by OEM's.
WEC and IMSA are examples of that, and F1.

Don't get me wrong.
I loved CART in the 80's and 90's. Some of the worlds best racing ever.
But trying to go back to emulate the 90's is a mistake.
Look what happened back in the 90's when the Lola was markedly inferior to the Reynard and how that impacted the Lola teams and finances.

If we get another engine OEM then great.
But understand that commonality of chassis and tires is what all modern formula are doing to reduce costs and its helping Indycar rebuild when the last thing it needs is an increase in team and equipment costs.