View Single Post
Old 31 Oct 2016, 08:06 (Ref:3684208)   #94
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Judging by the interview with TQ, he knows that there are some aspects that could be better. He is a realist after all. I totally agree that a couple of well placed screens would be useful, but there has been a lot of private money thrown at the track. It hasn't received a cent of Government or council money, unlike Pukekohe, which is arguably, no better than before they threw some money at it.

There is still no traffic tunnel or bridge and the paddock at larger entry meetings is split between inner and outer - a total nightmare when trying to communicate with drivers who may be running a car in two classes and the need for two dummy grids and extra manpower to organize them. Very limited trailer parking and minimal toilet facilities in the paddock.

HD will I am sure, continue to improve, but the damage done to local motorsport by the minimal grids - televised for several years - hurt the sport more than most seem to realise. Personally, and feel free to differ, but I believe we have almost lost a generation of potential spectators, because what was on offer was not really worth televising.

I'd agree that maybe the numbers have been higher at a couple of earlier meetings, but having free access to the paddock is a huge plus. The 'log' benches scattered around for seating seemed to be appreciated, though like Goodwood with 50,000 people a day, many will take their own camp chairs anyway.

I'm not sure what the immediate future plans are at HD, (they keep changing) but Pukekohe is still first and foremost, a horse track, owned by the horse people, which is a shame, as there would be huge potential if it was a genuine Motorsport venue.

I haven't had an issue with Vodafone at HD on my $30 phone - not that I ever use it other than to let my wife know I am on the way home.