Thread: New F1 Logo
View Single Post
Old 27 Nov 2017, 17:03 (Ref:3783530)   #28
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i think a lot of people would enjoy the sport a bit more if they weren't so pessimistic and didn't immediately revert to criticism all the time.
I don't think you mean just me as you quoted me below the text above. And I agree 100% with your sentiment. But... for me, I am not being critical just to be critical. I also try to celebrate the positives when I see them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
they said they would, so they did. it's an entire rebranding exercise, not just a new logo. the new logo is a symptom of the rebranding, not the centre of it. it kind of did deserve a big fanfare because like the marketing video says, it's a new era. both in promotional guff sense and real life.
How did that video sell me or anyone on it being a new era or anything special? I stand by my comments.

That video is now on YouTube (posted by Formula 1 itself).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0za98VMTPck

It is titled "A New Era Awaits | 2018 F1 Logo Reveal". Clearly it is more about the logo and less about a "new era". God help us if a new logo defines a new era!

Some may say its easy to be an armchair quarterback on this stuff, but I don't think hindsight is required to see this should have been done differently. I would have...

1. Not introduced the logo on the podium if the logo was the only thing new to introduce. If they wanted to do something special on the podium (such as a video), then focus on the "product" and the 2018 season

2. They are missing a new story to tell. For example, it could contain something like... new venues, new fan experiences, etc. Tell us why the new ownership will define a new era. You could fold in new logo and other "design" elements at that same time, but they are ancillary and not the centerpiece. Rebranding has to be more than just logo, color palettes, etc. They also need to have a new message. That was missing.

IMHO this was a marketing faceplant. However, I can imagine there was a mandate to do something on the podium at the end of the year. Some of the examples I mention above (new this that and the other things) are likely just not ready enough to be promoted.

Richard