Thread: Amaroo Park
View Single Post
Old 6 Feb 2021, 09:34 (Ref:4033715)   #23
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Story here on Oran Park these days - another Sydney race track that is now housing development.

Still drawing a crowd after all these years......

You've got to hand it to the Perich family, they are astute operators.
It was no secret that OP was always going to have a limited life even in the 1970's. I think the story of the owners building another track was just a that, a story made up by someone to give everyone hope. I said at the time that there would never be another track built in the Sydney basin and was told I did not know what I was talking about because the Perich family were going to do it at Picton near the Hume Highway intersection with Picton Road. Seeing that there was already residential development happening in that area a new circuit was never going to happen.

The loss of Amaroo Park was a major blow to motorsport in Sydney and largely contributed to the slow death of car clubs in Sydney and nearby regions. The multi use complex was perhaps the best of its type in Australia and when the rally ban was on it was the only place to compete. Anyone who went down the hill climb access road at speed would know what the word terror means.