View Single Post
Old 21 Aug 2014, 08:02 (Ref:3445925)   #18
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
That's just it. I (like many, while some refused to) followed F1 from free to air to pay tv because I like it. Sure out children may see it because they have access to the races, but for people like me when I was young (my father isn't interested in F1) , what access will they have to the races? How will they know if they like it or not? With just a brief news clip, or the occasional highlights package I think very few kids will decide they want to start watching F1.

But I suppose Bernie won't have to worry about it, because this reduction in viewers will lag behind by some years. It is beginning now, but it will probably take 15-20 years to hit its absolute low in viewership. Even with massive change now it could still take 5-10 years to reverse the trend. How many kids, teenagers or adults in their 20's watch F1 now?

I saw a news article last night about media, and apparently teens view more programming online than from traditional television. On demand, youtube, downloads, this is all happening right now and F1 is falling behind. I don't really care too much, but my biggest concern is that with viewership falling the potential is there for more stupid changes to F1, and being in such a small country as New Zealand, if the money isn't there to broadcast it, we may lose it altogether.
Formula One, and to extent motor sport in general, is failing to reach out to young people. Most kids I know, including my own, have zero interest in Formula One. It's in total contrast to my generation. While the sport itself must shoulder some of the blame - c.f. much of what you've said above - there are other factors at work too. Sadly, I do foresee a decline in 'live racing' as we know it, probably to be usurped by something SIM/games based. The spectator growth in this area is jaw dropping... and particularly among the young generation.