Thread: Chris Amon
View Single Post
Old 12 Aug 2016, 17:25 (Ref:3665393)   #13
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Someone I've only read about, mostly in my Can Am readings, but Chris raced in the golden era, which meant it was one of the most dangerous times of the sport. He not only survived, but he did it well against many of the greatest ever.

Here he is in the Ferrari 612 P Can Am at Road America. Would hope the circuit would honor him this weekend as we all should.

Hate to see him go at 73 years young.
RIP Chris.

My first road course race spectating was the '69 Can Am (drove there 4 times the summer of '77; club racisng) at the "Bridge..." (...hampton, L.I., NY. A golf course now) I've told this story before but what the hay(hey?)...

Chris Q'd 3rd behind the B & D Show (but of course) in the 612 and didn't last long at all (oil pump). After a number of laps, we all wondered what was happening to Denny as he was slowing and drifting back thru the field. As it turned out, he had no problem as he easily mosied (sp?) back up thru the field to win (Bruce 2nd, Jo Siffert 3rd in a 917PA, Pedro 5th in a 312P coupe). 'Found out later he was intentionally sliding back looking for Chris to see if he could help drag him to the front.

Good ol' days. The Can Am was AWESOME; and so was Mssr Amon.

At least he lucked into the Le Mans win in '66 even tho' it was at Miles triple crown expense.

Last edited by jimclark; 12 Aug 2016 at 17:45.

jimclark