View Single Post
Old 18 Mar 2016, 22:09 (Ref:3624009)   #23
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Great racing weekend again. Sykes fought tooth and nail for a much deserved win definitely putting Rea's nose out of joint but for me it was the Welsh wizard who stole the show riding the wheels of that Ducati for a podium place in race 2, brilliant job Chaz Davis, roll on the tighter circuits of Europe where we're really guaranteed some fireworks at the front!
Well, that was a bit of a cracker! Superbike race 2 more than made up for race one where there was a certain inevitability about Rea passing Sykes. You could see from the on-boards (much better quality this season) with 5 or 6 laps to go that, Rea was carrying stupendous mid-corner speed AND keep the line whereas Sykes was drifting wide and wide. It all adds up on the clock.

Still, whatever Sykes had for lunch on race day must have been potent. He was extremely dogged, good to see but I suspect Rea is going to recalibrate how much room he will give next time. Some of Tom's blocking moves were brutal! The pre-podium body language was interesting viewing.

Incidentally, in the post-race one interviews, van der Mark mentioned something about his bike getting lost on the track. I was wondering if the bikes rely on GPS for corner to corner engine mapping and maybe it lost some position info. I would have thought they would use a self-contained system which knew where it was relative to a known datum (kinda like inertial navigation).

I'll get me coat.

PS: Supersport was cracking too, very pleased to see PJ battle so hard. I really hope he can challenge all year long.

PPS: The bikes sound glorious this season, somebody has turned up the trackside effects bike too.