Old 8 Jun 2014, 14:13 (Ref:3416915)   #16
Jim Craik
Rookie

United States
Saratoga, CA
Jim Craik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
That's a very interesting chassis you've picked up. I remember watching Le Mans on TV that year and the car catching fire very early in the race and burning for a long time. I'm really surprised the chassis is still around.

Are you planning on restoring the car to running condition? I always wonder what happens to these cars once they are retired. I see a few of them turn up at vintage racing events but I'm sure a lot of them just end up in storage for many years.
Yes, I also remember the fire, Race# 4 (00-002) was credited with only eight laps, so it was very early in the race. On YouTube there is a Japanese vidio showing the efforts to extinguish the car, its kind of painful to watch.....

But then again, an undamaged, complete car would be out of my price range....

As I understand the story, a few years ago, this chassis was sold to a guy in Western Australia who planned to modify it into a track car with a Viper V10. His plans changed and fortunately no mods were carried out.

He mentioned in the GT40s.com web site this is was available and I was able to convince the wife that we needed this very beautiful and fairly significant car.

I do plan/hope to return this beauty to a runner/historic racer and have started the process. That said, it's going to be a fairly slow process as I really enjoy being married

Last edited by Jim Craik; 8 Jun 2014 at 14:41.