View Single Post
Old 28 Dec 2005, 20:57 (Ref:1491125)   #9
Goran Malmberg
Racer

Sweden
Stockholm Sweden
Goran Malmberg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As probabley som of you have seen I use Super Trapps on my car... 2 with 3 inch core. The reason is they fit the car. They are VERY light and does not shake the rest of the system appart. Using 5 discs each the header will become very hot and it hurt power over 4000 rpm. But the engine is 8,7 litre so no wonder. But it gives a fair "city sound level". 20 disc and high rpm (7000) power seem fair, but one dont step the trottle with the men in blue around. But it is way softer than NO discs, althrought NO discs dosen sound like totally open headers, as there IS a absorption damper inside the damper housing.But no discs gives power as an open system.

Normally it takes 10 times the damper to engine size volume to effectively silence an engine. This means a damper volume of 10*8,7=87litre in my case!!! Thats half a barrel of oil size. Or else there will be a power loss from dampening to reach sivileced sound level.

I have a few ideas about sytem design that should get sound down while at the same time not loosing power, it can be done, but a bit tricky.

Goran Malmberg

Last edited by dtype38; 29 Dec 2005 at 00:11. Reason: Using homepage url.