Thread: Irish RX Forum
View Single Post
Old 16 Mar 2010, 13:03 (Ref:2653464)   #40
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
Look I think rallycross is a great sport and has had some great racing this year even with a low supercar entry I was just interested in some simple suggestions to get the sport heading in the right direction but I dont think from this thread that there are any forthcoming so Im out......................
A typical but unsurprising response - run away because everyone isn't agreeing with you. Symptomatic of how Irish motorsport is run, don't listen to wider views and challenge them with logical argument.

Look at the mess the once great Circuit of Ireland rally is in because of infighting. We've lost the Irish round of the WRC because of poor organisation - the location was not at all popular with the drivers and teams, it was deemed too remote and expensive but was where the various rally factions insist it be because their egos wouldn't allow common sense to prevail. Sure it's in a lowly populated area so what did they expect?!? It should have been located closer to Dublin where the bulk of everything is to have any chance.

Yes, I did say simple promotion to highlight the fact that you think promotion is the answer. You need a good product to promote - Irish RX doesn't have a good product to promote in it's current guise. You are just not going to get bums in seats in the middle of winter to watch some tatty old 205's running around.

If you think promotion is the way forward, then do it instead of talking about it and hoping others will do it instead.

I am motorsport mad, I'm hardcore - but haven't been to an Irish RX event in years. I'll only go if the British round is on and it in itself can be quite boring. There are only so many stockhatch and junior RX heats I can take and the schedule invariably runs way behind with large gaps between heats and finals. That used to be the great appeal of RX - snappy races - bam, bam, bam, one after another. You didn't have a chance to be bored as a spectator.

Irish RX can't survive by itself - like I said elsewhere above, you need spectators to generate revenue to be able to build the sport. Getting the British RX and ERC over is vital and possible with a bit of work. This builds momentum and gives you a basis from which to build. The problem is, you think the sport is grand as it is - it ain't.

So rather than throwing your toys out opf the pram, be realistic, be open and enagage. A good start point would be to take a damn good look at the state of the sport and accept that fundamental change is needed if your sport is to grow and survive.

I despair for Irish motorsport, I really do.