View Single Post
Old 18 Jul 2011, 05:25 (Ref:2927932)   #265
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yeah I did see that post earlier, thanks, but the reason I am interested specifically in the torque is that it relates much more to the weight and the acceleration out of a corner than horsepower does. If the torque to weight ratio is higher for the Supertourers than for the V8 Supercars, it would make them quicker around a twisty circuit (as opposed to somewhere like Pukekohe which is all about power) as they would be able to accelerate out of corners more quickly.

Power, on the other hand, relates more to top speed (from my understanding of it) and speed relates much less to weight than acceleration does. This is because the calculation for the force required to propel anything through the air is rho (density of air) x v (velocity) squared x frontal area x cd (coefficient of drag). Which means that force required to push a car forward increases proportionally to the square of the increase in velocity (which is why they needed an extra 200 bhp to get a few extra km/h out of the Bugatti Veyron).

So the V8 Supercars should, with the same frontal area and similar aerodynamics, be a bit quicker around Pukekohe but not necessarily at Hampton, where speed doesn't come into it as much.