Thread: Tech Issue Pirelli-The Tyre Story..
View Single Post
Old 25 Feb 2013, 02:43 (Ref:3210261)   #45
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
In the 2007-10 period Bridgestone made tyres that were probably more suited to endurance racing.
A stint in an endurance race or a whole endurance race?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
The current tyres are designed to have a limited lifespan and that is what makes the challenge, of which tyre to use and for how long. For the driver it is drive more aggresively and have more pit stops V's drive carefully and have less tyre changes. If you have tyres that last a whole race then it does not present a strategy challenge.
You might have to to remind me of specific races where this has occurred. The tyres deteriorate so badly that a supposed strategy is dictated to, rather than a gamble and see if it pays off. In fact, I'm confident in saying the current tyres a designed to create races similar to mandatory refuelling, where people are either used to it to the point where they think that's how it's supposed to be, or they've grown up with up and anything else is abnormal. Despite the fact refuelling had actually been an abnormal feature of F1.

One stop or two? Instead of trying to drag an extra lap out with fuel, you're trying to go as long as you can til a lap before those around you to take advantage of a fresh set. It's nothing, making the curent tyres last an extra lap or two would have nothing to do with driver skill, maybe just a fraction of a pound either way with the suspesion. Nelson Piquet won the 1990 Japanese and Australian GP by making the tyres last the whole way, a tactic he employed for most of the season. I can't remember a recent race where similar has occurred, without having the advantage of a better car on the day.