View Single Post
Old 13 Nov 2004, 02:54 (Ref:1152146)   #1
11tenths
Rookie

United States
San Francisco, California
11tenths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old School v New School: Emerson on the 2001 Ferrari

Here's some grist for the forum! New to 10/10ths here, I do enjoy reading these posts. Have a field day with this television interview I transcribed between Peter Windsor and Emerson Fittipaldi.

Emerson Fittipaldi, after driving Schumacher's 2001 Ferrari at the 2004 Goodwood Festival of Speed had some interesting things to say about the car.

-beginning of interview-

Emerson:
"It's very impressive the way everything works, you know, the engine has tremendous torque, I don't need a lot of revs. It was very easy. Everything happened automatically, I mean it was fantastic. The gear changes, up and down, you're holding both hands all the time on the steering wheel. Like Kart racing. And what I feel is that if you want to come to the limit 100% I would say that it is quite easy for any driver that drives reasonably to drive the car very fast very close to the limit.

But, I think that it's the last 2, 3 or 4 percent that makes the difference, then I think it gets very difficult because you're not only driving the car, but on the steering wheel there are so many different adustments, so I think you need a long time to master every one of the adjustments.

And I think that's another reason in my opinion why Michael is so good as well, I'm sure he can master all the small adjustments that all together can make a big difference. It really helps driving."

Peter Windsor:

"Looking back now, at say the Lotus '72 or the McLaren, if then you'd been able to drive with both hands of the steering wheel, do you think you would have been able to go quicker and do a better job? Do you think that was a factor that people hadn't thought about back then?"

Emerson:

"I think it would make it easier for anybody to drive. But, to a top driver it would not make so much difference. And with no power steering wheel, you have to hold it with one hand and shift with the other, and then the car gets opposite lock and you have to be doing much more things around and not just turning the steering wheel and focusing on driving.

It was more difficult before, definitely.

People say yes, its easier to drive a grand prix car now, yes, but to win, its going to be very difficult."

-end of interview-

Last edited by 11tenths; 13 Nov 2004 at 02:59.