View Single Post
Old 8 Oct 2019, 18:17 (Ref:3932762)   #45
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Richard, by extension you've just reinforced my point. If you or I were to post a picture of (say) Lewis Hamilton Joshing with some fans and we posted it here as "I took this at Silverstone" (other tracks are available) we can expect the thought police to demand costs for copyright infringement.

To me it's just another nail in the coffin of what was once a an enjoyable sport.
I think right now... you couldn't get away with posting a YouTube video of you with Hamilton at a GP event as FOM might easily hunt you down and kill the video (note, this might be done automatically without anyone explicitly targetting you). Taking personal photos at a GP event is (IMHO) a bit harder to police given the technology of today. So while it will be an issue in the future, it is probably not now. The reason why image IP works for someone like Motorsports Network is because they have existing images in which they can look for exact copies. Your personal photos are unique, so it's harder to say "oh, this was taken at Silverstone on this specific GP weekend".

But your point remains. And I don't think this is exclusive to F1, but it is what this forums is about. I also think that IP owners are getting new tools they didn't have previously so they may need to understand what the appropriate balance is (i.e. What are real IP issue and where the real problem lives).

For me (and I think most everyone would agree), that trying to make money off media from F1 events is a bad idea. The problem is... it is currently an important revenue stream for FOM, so they will protect it. Just like Motorsports Networks feels their media assets are valuable, so they are trying to protect them (if Pit Pass reports are correct, then it's not going well)

Richard