View Single Post
Old 11 May 2001, 02:26 (Ref:91140)   #4
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm a firm believer on the man made global warming and I'm extremely concerned about the effects that such an event could have.

However, as Wolf mentioned, cars are not the only ones to be held accountable for this.

Just think about this. To supply a country with it's electrical needs you need to produce a large ammount of power from hydroelectric plants (only for those countries with large hydric resources), Atomic energy (only for the "privileged few) or thermoelectric plants. And although the biggest energy consumers in the world rely on the first 2 the rest of the world is burning huge ammounts of coal right now. I mean, in the northern part of the country there's the largest open air coal mine in the world (if I'm not mistaken) and I recall reading how much coal the produced and it was something of the order of n*100 thousand tons of coal PER DAY. And that's coal that's burning each day and produced by only one mine.

However, that doesn't mean in any way that the resposability of the car owner in all of this can be taken off because he just drives a miserable car which burns 10 gallons per week. One should be aware that there's no such thing as a clean car. Our car, diesel, petrol, 1L, 5L, injected, carburated, etc. does contaminate. Does produce CO, CO2, sulfates, nitric oxides, etc. Having that in mind one should at least keep the car in optimum condition to keep contamination to a minimum.

That also means that developments of newer and cleaner technologies (such as Hydrogen) should be pursued.