View Single Post
Old 11 May 2001, 16:13 (Ref:91276)   #7
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about this I spotted today, also from Pistonheads.com:

Quote:
General Motors is promoting the use of E85 renewable, alternative fuel in its company-owned vehicles in south eastern Michigan. In partnership with BP, GM will ask employees at GM facilities located in Pontiac, Warren and Detroit, Michigan. who drive E85 compatible vehicles to refuel at a nearby Amoco station. The alternative fuel is composed of 85 percent ethanol and 15 percent petrol

In just a few months, all 2002 model year GM full-sized sport-utility vehicles, including Chevrolet Tahoes and Suburbans and GMC Yukons, equipped with 5.3-litre V8s will also be E85 compatible.

Ethanol is domestically produced from agricultural products. Currently ethanol is made primarily from corn, but in the future, it could also be produced using woods, grasses and waste cellulose-containing materials. It is a renewable fuel, meaning the supply of ethanol is virtually unlimited.
How about that?! A completely renewable, and therefore virtually unlimited fuel source! Now if they could only develop a vehicle power unit that ran solely on tap water and pumped out oxygen as waste! (Hmmn? Oh sorry, I started dreaming again!)

Sharky, I completely agree about the 'displaced' need for the burning of fuels for the recharging of electric vehicles. Just because power plants are doing the burning rather than the individual, and these plants aren't within sight, they're easily disregarded.

Hydrogen seems to offer the hope for the future, but as Sharky says (And as we discussed some time ago) the development is a long way off.

How does your love of motosport tally with your concerns of the environment?