View Single Post
Old 10 Jul 2017, 11:29 (Ref:3750132)   #328
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the reality is that, in the world we live in, if a spectator does something stupid and gets himself killed, the organisers are to blame - and they face the police inquiries and insurance claims. It is dumb as it means there is no longer any notion of personal responsibility in law but that is just how it is. So I do have some sympathy with organisers who are a little over-cautious.

The trouble is the MSA and various BRC organisers have allowed the sport to decline for years. What other sport has cancelled its main championship because it was in such steep decline? Can you imagine Wimbledon or the Premier League being cancelled for the same reason? For years organisers relied on Colin and Richard to carry the sport and when they both died so tragically, rallying as a spectator sport fell off a cliff.

It is not much better if you are a competitor. I'm only an occasional clubman but even the costs of single venue events are now becoming very steep indeed. Despite all the cash the MSA rakes in and the money in the sport, none of it seems to come back to local motor clubs to support the grass roots.

Fortunately rallying is still very strong in mainland Europe - I tend to watch more events overseas nowadays. Such are the price of passes on Wales Rally GB, we can fly to Italy, have a short holiday, watch an outstanding rally all for about the same price as watching our own home event.

Last edited by leonidas; 10 Jul 2017 at 11:37.