View Single Post
Old 7 Jun 2006, 09:35 (Ref:1629111)   #45
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Good thread this Dennis!

I agree with that Liam. The only time it can work against you is when what on the surface appears to be tight regs get abused and I will give you an example.

In the ModProds the decision was taken to allow adustable rose jointed suspension. Now on the face of it that looks more expensive but if you stop and think about quite the opposite is true and why? Because what was happening (and by those that should no better) certain people were consealing rose joints in standard suspension components (much dearer than buying off the shelf monified TCA's) but it did not stop there oh no. They had several made up of different lengths and used to go to the track with a crew and extensively test the best set up. Now you cannot tell me a bit of adjustability would have been far better and cheaper in the long run and also get rid of the cheats by making it not worth while.

I have recently fitted a coil over conversion on one of my cars and am currently setting up the corner weights. Still hard work but ions easier than messing about with different length springs and spacers which some will do and spend hours and hours with their expensive computerised scales when the rules do not allow coil overs. Also 2.5" springs are dirt cheap, I paid 15 years ago £240 for a pair of H/Duty specially made springs for my old car because the regs would not allow the conversion.

So you see just sometimes what on the surface looks budget is in fact more expensive and I learnt this lesson years ago when in the Road Saloons I was told catagourically that the STANDARD road springs had to be used then happened upon the co-ordinator changing his STANDARD springs for something far less than standard behind the big hanger at Snetterton! Ever wondered why some people always seem to so much faster than others in one makes, they ain't better drivers as a rule, trust me. :-)

Last edited by Al Weyman; 7 Jun 2006 at 09:42.