Thread: Roll-Call?
View Single Post
Old 8 Jul 2001, 18:40 (Ref:114456)   #19
UAtkins
Rookie

UAtkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello, I’ve been lurking and occasionally posting for a few weeks now so I thought it was only polite to introduce myself officially.

My name is Ursula Dickeson. I was born in the early 50s in Guildford, Surrey the daughter of a former TT motorcycle and sometime hillclimb racer, C.T. “Tommy” Atkins. I am fortunate enough to have a portfolio of his 1930s motor cycle racing clippings. My Dad continued to drive cars mostly driving Connaughts and his Mercedes 300SLR at hillclimbs.

My Dad stopped racing around 1956, and put his enthusiasm to work building and sponsoring racing cars until his death in 1965. My Dad owned a tool and die company in Tolworth, “High Efficiency Motors” and had his lockup garage in Chessington close to Jack Brabham, he also knew John Cooper quite well and I remember visiting the Cooper shop with Dad. Dad’s mechanics were Harry Pearce, Wally Wilmott, and Gordon Whitehead. Harry was a superb mechanic and had known Dad since his motorcycling days. In fact Dad sponsored Harry as a motorcycle racer until he talked him into giving it up and working with him to build their racing cars, which he did until 1964 when my Dad became ill. I have since discovered that they built cars for Bruce McLaren to enter in the Tasman series and that Harry went over with Bruce to take care of them. Other racers include Graham Hill, Roy Salvadori, Jack Fairman, Ian Burgess, and Chris Amon. The McLaren family has been wonderful, they have shared photos, articles, and letters with me which have given a unique insight into Dad’s collaboration with Bruce. He was always my favorite racer and my Dad thought the world of him. I have also found Neil Twyman, who has one of Dad’s early Coopers.

I was too young to get into the pits during races but I could manage it at practice sessions (often renting tracks such as Goodwood), unfortunately school and other things conspired to keep me away from most of the events. I went to Goodwood mostly and can remember the noise, the smell, and all the wonderful people so well, I can close my eyes and see it all. Dad bought a Cobra (without engine) from Carroll Shelby and I remember a session at Goodwood during which Carroll came over to talk to Dad, I was totally awestruck but unfortunately didn’t stick around to hear the conversation. I understand this car is still around and racing at historic events. Dad had a set of racing coveralls made for me just like Roy Salvadori’s, I still have them and they are a very treasured possession.

It was a gilded childhood but it ended in 1965. I lost all contact with racing, ended up moving to California in 1970, and cried my last tears over racing when I heard Bruce McLaren had died in June. I then lost interest in racing as it continued to evolve and change so far from the sport I remembered. I now live in Anchorage Alaska, where I have several friends who share my interest in vintage racing.

I started this research in January of 2001, and am amazed at the information I have found. I have dug out the books I inherited (Mike Hawthorn, Stirling Moss/Laurence Pomeroy (autographed no less), and Dennis Jenkinson, and have started reading them with a much greater understanding. I have also spent a small fortune on books, magazines, etc. and met a wonderful group of people who have provided me with a wealth of information, which I am still sorting through. The best part is finding articles, photographs, and even some video of my Dad.

I already have my tickets for Goodwood Revival in September, I will be meeting Dad’s mechanic, Harry Pearce for the weekend and look forward to reviving some treasured memories and making some new ones. I have joined the GRRC and so have paddock passes for all three days and will be camping nearby. I welcome any suggestions on attending the meeting.

Ursula