Thread: Roll-Call?
View Single Post
Old 9 Jul 2001, 02:26 (Ref:114596)   #24
UAtkins
Rookie

UAtkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Hans Etzrodt
I have a question in regards to the 300SLR driven by your father. Was that the 1957 type roadster, which was manufactured till 1962?
Hans, I believe my Dad had various 300SLs over the years, the most special one was a 1956 Lightweight (SLR 1) that he and Rob Walker (Rob 1) picked up in Stuttgart at the factory. There is a great article (written by Rob Walker) on their trip in the April 1956 MotorSport pages 196 and 197. Well worth reading, if you don't have this magazine I would be happy to send you a copy or I can type it up and post it separately (it's quite long). I am honestly not sure which one I remember riding in, as I said, he had several as he was an incorrigible car collector and always had to have the latest and greatest. I also have an article written by Bruce McLaren for the September 4, 1962 N.Z. Herald in which he describes driving one of the cars (SLE 42). This one had been sitting around Dad's shop for 7 years so that makes it a 1955. I would love to find out more about these Mercedes (where they are now) as the photos I have are of various cars with different license plates so it makes it impossible to know if it was all one car or several. All part of the mystery which I hope I can solve after my trip to Goodwood and long talks with Harry Pearce.

Craig, funny what a small world these forums are? I still visit friends in Guildford, in fact they live in the house opposite the one I grew up in. Will you be going to Goodwood in September?

Ursula