Thread: Joest LMP1 2017
View Single Post
Old 10 Dec 2016, 04:52 (Ref:3695090)   #55
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I am not sure how the Honda/Brawn example is supposed to apply here. Honda basically walked away from a fully formed and staffed organization (minus the engine side plus or minus) and handed the keys over to Ross for nothing IIRC. In fact, as you say, Honda fully funded Brawn for quite awhile. Plus Brawn walked away with a pretty much fully formed silver bullet design, but still had their own tech staff (aero, etc) to get it ready to race. Also there was roughly a plug n play engine solution with Mercedes which arguable was better than the original Honda engine.

With all that going for them, as the season progressed Brawn was only barely able to keep their early lead as established teams were able to out develop them. Basically Brawn is a fairytale story that is unlikely to be repeated in our lifetime. Joest is nowhere close to that starting position to recreate that level of success. They don't have the money, staff, engine or a car (I guess the 2017 Audi could be a another Brawn in hiding, but we will never know)

Richard