Old 9 Oct 2002, 20:10 (Ref:399611)   #80
Ian Smith
Racer

England
Tamworth Staff's
Ian Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Guisbro Rod H
If the press and local hearsay are to be believed then be VERY careful with speed guns and military aircraft.

A policeman was collecting revenue by speed trapping motorists near Leeming military airport. It was the time of the gulf war, Kuwait invaision. Tornado or the like was off to the middle east fully weaponed up.

The policeman zapped the Tornado as a joke and for curiosity. The plane's electonic countermeasures systems automatically responded by exploding the speed gun in the policeman's hands. He was badly injured and he lost his job - the police authority and the RAF were unamused.

In the current political climate I suggest that WE are very CAREFUL with speed detectors that the military percieve as electronic / laser systems pointed at them.
Contry to what a certain son-in-law of mine might feel, I am quite aware of the dangers of radar speed guns (from Both Ends) and had no desire or intentions of pointing it anywhere but at competitors,I enjoy life even more than I enjoy marshling