View Single Post
Old 16 Aug 2011, 21:09 (Ref:2941874)   #71
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeggy View Post
Just reviewing/editing our videos and thought I'd ask your opinions on the safety car in race two.
I was the Post Chief at Shell, so it was me who requested the Safety Car!

I was not happy with the position of the car, particularly so early on in a very close, competitive race. All it needed was an overtaking move (& there were plenty going on!) to go slightly wrong, someone to lose it under braking or get slightly wide on the entry & run off the circuit & there's a very real chance that it would have been hit. My incident team did try to push it out, but were unable to do so, so we needed a recovery vehicle; unfortunately the brake problem (?) which out it into the gravel trap in the first place made the recovery much more difficult than anticipated, which is why it took so long.

Maybe we could have got away with leaving the car there, maybe we couldn't. My assessment of the situation was that it was too great a risk to take; that opinion was backed by the Clerks, who have the benefit of cameras looking at Shell from a different viewpoint.