View Single Post
Old 8 Nov 2012, 05:23 (Ref:3163987)   #27
dusty
Rookie

dusty should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you want to make a small fortune out of motor racing, start with a large one.

Silverstone (etc) started small and evolved into bigger things. Once you start to try and join at the top the costs become phenominal. If you regard motorsport at it`s very basic, you require a couple of miles of tarmac and some old tyres to make a barrier. So far so cheap. Now start chucking in hotels, business centres and other infrastructure and suddenly the costs start rising.You need to have an income, and remember you actually have to pay to host some of the larger meetings...you need plenty of punters to wander through the gates and buy burgers to cover these costs. Look at club racing in the UK. The spectator numbers are low,( shame really as there is some fantastic racing at this level), and I cannot see how a 750 motor club meet with a handful of spectators is supposed to generate the revenue to service the capital cost of this venture. ( And please note, this is not a dig at club racing in any way, shape or form ).
I do not wish to be seen as negative etc, but I worry that we are going to see a Donington Park style fiasco, which does nothing but harm the motorsport industry in general.
I hope I am wrong. I would love to see a world class circuit in Wales. I just am a bit of a cynic and don`t want to see more people put off investing in motorsport by more people losing more money.