View Single Post
Old 4 May 2001, 05:45 (Ref:88674)   #6
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Since you say you took the bodywork back to bare metal, I presume that you have taken all the steps to ensure the bodywork is fully rust proofed. The Holden was never that great against corrosion, so this would be the worst enemy of your car. Take notice of HQ's on the street and also in wrecking years to see which parts of the car (like around the headlights say) are most prone to rust, and make sure your car is protected, if necessary with a baffle plate to stop grit and muck getting into the area around the headlights. There is nothing worse than to see your pride and joy rusting away right before your eyes, and that happened to my Peugeot 505 in Hong Kong. That was when I switched to Volvo, but I digress. I don't know whereabouts you live in Melbourne, but if it is near the bay, make doubly sure that your garage is not susceptibe to strong winds from the bay. My worst enemy was a garbage truck that collected the garbage each morning a few minutes before I drove to work. It dripped very corrosive liquid onto the road, and I was running over this stuff every morning.
Once the underbody is corrosion proofed, and if you have the cash, it wouldn't hurt to have a layer of clear enamel baked onto the paintwork of your car so that the car never needs to be polished and the paint will not detriorate or scratch when washed. You can also go crazy and Nickle plate the chrome.
I really don't understand why you chose an HQ, but as my brother used to say, different strokes for different folks. I would have chosen the FC, but that's me. A panel beater told me they (FC's) were made from Swedish steel. Anyway, from the TLC that you are giving this car, it must look great, so how about a pic so that we can all drool over it?
And if the weather in melbourne doesn't suit you to take your car out on any day, be patient - wait half an hour.