View Single Post
Old 16 Aug 2013, 22:43 (Ref:3290822)   #120
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Houston in summer is just a nasty place, generally, imagine somewhere like Trinidad but in an urban setting.

The smell there is horrendous in summer and it's very hot and very sticky, not that the city is any good (no offense to it's inhabitants) at any time of the year but summer brings out it's worst.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I know Dallas and Houston are separated by roughly 240 miles but does anyone remember the 1984 Dallas Grand Prix? It was held on July 8, in temperatures over 100 °(38 °C) with the track breaking up and Nigel Mansell collapsing after pushing his Lotus over the start/finish line because he ran out of fuel.

Houston in August will be much worse.

The US Grand Prix is held in November, precisely because of the heat in summer. It does beggar belief, where people get some of their ideas from in IndyCar.
Northeast Houston...

Yeah, Houston's not very nice. Neither is Dallas to tell you the truth (and I live there!). There are very nice neighborhoods with plenty of woods and old forests but the "cookie-cutter" urban sprawl is just menacing. As far as air quality, I check it about every day. It's sad to say that Houston/Brazoria and DFW are steadily some of the worst in the nation. And as far as temperature, 115+ degrees (when you're driving on LBJ highway) is not unheard of in Dallas. Houston I think is a bit cooler but the humidity is more oppressive.

A bad day in Dallas is 110 degrees (F), about 60% humidity, and smog so bad you can't see Downtown from 10 miles away. My vantage point is the intersection between Dallas North Tollway and LBJ Freeway and it is so very depressing.

I wasn't born when the 1984 Dallas GP was happening. But looking back at some footage and info, it seemed like a nightmare of a race. My dad went to it and recalls drivers passing out and large bundles of asphalt peeling off and forming large berms, almost like a dirt oval racetrack. Talk about "clag"...

I think it was in Fair Park, which is now better known as "the worst of the Dallas ghettos"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Yeah, I kind of referred to the Dallas Grand Prix in my above post, as well as F1 going to Phoenix in 1989 in June!

Some of this stuff is just idiotic, plain and simple.
I would like to get ahold of the people who planned the Dallas GP and slap the sense into 'em. At least Houston is in October, not July. July, August, and September should be off limits for any racing in Texas. I don't know what the WEC was thinking when planning the September 22 race at COTA. And I don't know quite what I'm thinking even trying to go down there and bake in 110 degrees...