View Single Post
Old 16 Oct 2014, 08:19 (Ref:3465536)   #59
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
for me this would stack up why Ron may want to desperately sign Alonso, but he's cool about it in public.......my understanding is the Santander spanish banking sponsorship, currently splashed accros Ferraris F1 cars will follow Alonso wherever he goes, this would be the title sponsor that Ron needs to honour his deal in the McLaren board room, and therefore keep his position and not be replaced by Berger.........whereas if he signs Lewis he just gets a brilliant driver, and possibly this years champ, but no title sponsor.......for me it does seem Ron is playing a high stakes poker game and he could very easily lose his hand.......this is probably why Alonso is being ultra cool about his position next year, as he knows he controls the Santander sponsorship direction......and he knows Ron needs it badly
This is an indictment of just how bad F1 is if a driver like Alonso is effectively 'paying for his drive'... to an organization as illustrious as McLaren.