View Single Post
Old 8 Mar 2001, 12:47 (Ref:69378)   #11
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Vandas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you all for your comments. It has affected me in a way which I never thought. Everything happened so fast, and yet the effects of the tragedy have been felt a lot further than I ever realised. I went to a committee meeting last night where a number of the most senior officials in Australia are involved. It was strange to see them all look so run down and ragged. The Race Secretary for the Australian F1 Grand Prix looked the worst out of all of them. He had the job of organising the chaplain's, finding the family, telling the family of the tragedy. and generally fielding a million and one questions on why such a thing could happen. It has obviously taken its toll.

I would like to commend all of Australia's Senior Officials, who hold everything together in times of crisis and only let it finally hit them once everything has been sorted and their job is done. They don't get paid to do this work, they don't get compensation or any special treatment. They do it truly out of their love for our sport. One thing I hope comes out of all of this is a higher recognition of the work done by all officials. We do really hold a great deal of power, and I as a competitor as well as an official am proud to be associated with a sport whose members are so dedicated, that they are willing to put their lives at risk just so that others may be safe.

I have passed on all of your messages to other members of my team, and they have asked me to thank you all for your kind words. All I can say is, I am glad to be a member of this forum, and will certainly have a beer with all of you who can make it to Bathurst this year.

Cameron