View Single Post
Old 17 Jul 2011, 03:27 (Ref:2927569)   #25
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would say Alonso still the best. Don't forget that in 2005 and 2006 he didn't actually have the fastest car. He reminds me in some ways of Prost. Where he won't exactly race dramatically, but just enough to score points. Over a season this does have its advantages(e.g. avoiding crashes). He is pretty good in the wet(not the best driver but still quite good in those conditions). He can overtake(he took Hamilton, but remember his monster move on Schumi at Suzuka in 2005, around 130 R. He made Schumi look like an amateur that day!). Plus he has won in different teams (Renault, McLaren and Ferrari). He does seem to know how to develop a car well(just look at Ferrari last year). I know his year at McLaren was not good. He was surprised at Lewis' speed and racecraft I think. Plus he never integrated with the team. Sadly that and a few other controversies have blighted his character a bit. I was a bit of an Alonso fan, especially when he was taking on Schumi. I know he is not everyone's cup of tea, and it is interesting how he has gone from a hero to a villain in some ways.

For all my praise of Alonso, I will admit Vettel has progressed a great deal this year. I think he is the best qualifier out there. Yes, he has the Red Bull to do it, but his performances in qualifying are superb. Monza 2008 was when everyone stood and took notice of him. Probably his best race. He is very good in the wet(Monza 2008 and Korea last year). He knows how to open up a gap and be gentle with the car. For someone so young, he has shown remarkable maturity in his driving this year. Yes, he made a mistake in Canada(he probably knows he should have speeded up, after the final safety car as well), but other than that he made very few mistakes. Compare it to 2008 when Lewis pretty much had the Canadian GP in the bag and went into the back of Kimi!). We just need to see if he can race(i.e. overtake) in a future race.

At the moment I would put the order of drivers like this :-

1. Alonso
2. Vettel
3. Hamilton
4. Button

Hamilton is still a good driver. I think he is the best wet weather driver(when it is tipping it down throughout the race, not just a short period). He can hustle a slower car pretty good on race day. Can overtake. He is too rash though. Someone does need to calm him down a bit. Not sure his management helps.

Button is super smooth. He needs a well balanced car to be fast though. If he doesn't have the balance, then unlike Lewis he can't go fast! On a wet, going to dry track he is superb. He knows how to find the grip and be quick. Tyre preservation would be an advantage for Jenson, were it not for this year's Pirellis' characteristics, with regard to their durability.