View Single Post
Old 1 Jan 2013, 01:54 (Ref:3183448)   #9
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Boring?

If you're into motor racing, and I presume you are by virtue of being here, I have no idea how you could find any season of the fastest closed circuit racing cars traveling the world with some of the finest drivers in their cockpits to be boring.

There's nothing inherently dull, to me, about a competition to see which super-high-performance car can complete the distance the fastest. We're trained to think we need constant overtaking, in part because we're told that, in part because the cars are a bit more restricted these days, in part because TV doesn't capture the speed well (modern technology is nice, but it's actually hurting the broadcast), etc.

But if you really think about it, it can't be boring even if nothing obvious is happening. Every corner someone is taking it to the limit in a car that's unfathomably fast and advanced.

I'll complain about various things in the worlds of F1, NASCAR, sports cars, and other series I follow. Boring? Never a word I'll use to describe a motor race; it'd just be contradictory.

I think we'll have a good season playing witness to the genius of Newey and Red Bull; the rivalry of McLaren and Ferrari; the talents of Vettel and Alonso; and the surprises of Räikkönen's Lotus, Hamilton's Mercedes, or Hülkenberg's Sauber.

They'll be inches away from each other into Melbourne's first turn, inches away from a retirement all around Monaco, and, for one of them, inches away from the highest honor a driver can earn by season's end.

It'd be bad for my eyes to be inches away from the TV, but I certainly won't stray too far from it when the Grand Prix is on.