View Single Post
Old 25 Jan 2012, 00:20 (Ref:3016553)   #17
FFfan
Racer

FFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I see my son Scott still has the lap records for the two longer circuit layouts at Anglesey. What was quite amazing about this was that we consider this to be his first proper race weekend. He'd actually done one warm up race at Mondello 3 weeks before really as a test as he'd done no testing & it was the first time he'd driven the car. He qualified 3rd there quite quickly dispatching Noel Dunne for 2nd and was bearing down on leader Neville Smythe when his clutch expired. We were dreaming of a remarkable debut up until then.

When we arrived at Anglesey he loved the place instantly. I seem to remember we had about 16 cars racing that weekend in the post-90 class with some good experienced drivers amongst them. Scott just missed pole by a whisker on the shorter coastal layout but stuck to Rory Butchers gearbox like glue for the whole race. There was hardly a fag paper between them and when Butcher made a slight error Scott was actually too close to take advantage of it. No doubt he grabbed the Fastest lap in Butchers slip stream.

On Sunday Scott took pole from Butcher on the International layout and led from lights to flag soaking up all the pressure and trying to back Butcher into 3rd place man David Grady. Eventually Butcher made a tiny error; Grady pounced causing Rory to defend and Scott put the hammer down to escape taking the win, fastest lap and lap record number two in as many days. Not bad for someone with the novice cross on making his UK race debut. Happy Days