Thread: Code 60 for UK
View Single Post
Old 26 Dec 2015, 21:20 (Ref:3600300)   #88
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNHodge View Post
I've just skimmed this thread so apologies if this has already been said.

Instead of using a set speed limit for drivers to stick to, which by all accounts sounds difficult to police and difficult for drivers to know how fast they're going, get the drivers to stick to a minimum lap time (similar to VSC in F1)

How it could work:

First thing in the morning, get the safety car to do three laps of the track at 60 KPH. Take the average lap time, make that the "Code 60" lap time.

Race comes, someone bins it - CoC shouts "Code 60." The flag/light/pigeon relays the message to the drivers, the drivers slow down to achieve that lap time set by the safety car in the morning. Everyone circulates at that lap time, everyone is safe, everyone knows where they stand.

-
I've never been anywhere where they've used C60, but I've been track side during a VSC in F1 and felt perfectly safe.
Two questions about your proposal:
1. when the Code 60 is initiated, all drivers are on part of a lap; how do they know how fast / slow to go for the remainder of that lap to hit the target lap time? (those near the end of a lap will need to slow far more than those on the first half of the lap, surely this gives dangerous closing speeds?)
2. once a car starts a new lap, how does the driver know how to drive to the target time? Surely more cars have speedos than in-car laptimers, and for those that don't have either isn't it cheaper to fit a speedo than laptimer gear?

I'd just emphasise again that Code 60 as currently in use is immediate