View Single Post
Old 13 Mar 2017, 00:36 (Ref:3718282)   #8
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider View Post
http://m.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/350...mance-deficit/

I actually admire the honesty. Just hope for both companies' stakes they can get more power out of the unit asap...
I'm not sure it is entirely honest - well it is, but it could be more honest rather than making a frank and rather embarrassing statement.

There are some interesting comments on that link, and some raise a good point. Why did Honda rush to develop a new engine in such a tight timeframe, and also with a new design philosophy that they have labelled as "risky". I supposed hindsight is a wonderful thing and they would have (or will) look like heroes if it works. But with their recent track record what is the likelihood that it would work?

Again in hindsight, but wouldn't it have been much better to continue to develop the somewhat flawed 2016 engine but with a new turbo and ERS system? I know the layout of this engine had draw backs, but it would appear a development of this engine would at least be reliable if nothing else, giving them more opportunity to establish a foothold on the midfield pack. Meanwhile development of a 2017/18 spec engine can continue in the background and they could roll that engine out when required (and test it on Fridays!).

Now I'm sure there are valid reasons as to why they haven't done this, but we are all essentially left to speculate. Would it be so harmful for Honda to just come out with a few facts of the real challenges they are facing and how they are dealing with them? I for one would respect their situation and them more if they did.

I feel like McLaren-Honda are so determined to be "where they should be" that they are trying everything to be the best and falling well short. Instead they should try to be good and improve from there (in my opinion). I sure haven't forgotten how rubbish they were recently when they had a great engine in the back - a world championship winning engine for that matter. The problem is not all Honda.