View Single Post
Old 13 Mar 2017, 10:41 (Ref:3718340)   #13
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
A test mule based on an LMP 2 car just for engine durabilty would be pretty straightforward with plenty of space for instrumentation and reasonable down force loadings Transient Dynos do replicate motion loadings which presumably is the oil feed issue
It's absolutely doable. However I believe my comments (here and in the testing thread) as to why it's not done still stands. Potential gentlemens agreement to abstain, non trivial amount of work to create a mule (regardless of platforms such as LMP2), and cost of running a mule team in parallel with existing dev and test efforts.

I can only comment on what I have read elsewhere, but my impression is that Honda had tried many variants in their design process and maybe spent too much time in the experimental phase vs picking a direction and polishing it to obtain things like reliability, drivability, etc. I would think that running a mule would be part of that last phase. My point is they may unfortunately (only they know) have never been far enough along to be using a mule effectively. Or they just had a huge amount of faith in however they were developing and testing already.

And oil tank issues is the least of their problems. I suspect that has already been solved.

Richard